[RC5] Reporting which is REALLY busy

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Wed Apr 7 15:08:45 EDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Jon Spence wrote:

> This is taken from the readme.nw in my copy of the client.
>
> Beginning with version 2.7020.403, the client will, when possible,
> insert itself into the Idle Loop (called the 'Polling Loop' on NetWare
> 3.x) just like PSERVER does, which allows it to control processor
> usage far more precisely than it could before. Thus, it will appear as
> if the client was using no processing power at all.  This feature was
> added when users noted that some load-sensitive tasks such as file
> server backup would not run well when the client was active. This was
> traced to what appeared as 'high' processor utilization which caused
> those jobs to reschedule themselves because they believed the file
> server to be heavily loaded.  Unfortunately, using the polling loop
> for for cpu intensive work can degrade system performance on slower
> machines. To disable polling use '-nopoll' on the command line.

Also, I can't remember exactly, but in the Monitor, you go to CPU
Usage (I think?), press F3 to go to full screen en look up the idle
process. If that process takes up a lot of cputime, then there's
something running in it. Try comparing that number with the situation
with the client turned off.

Oh, 1 warning: As Jon said, PSERVER is also in the idle loop, so
printer will get as much cpu power as the client -> Printing will be
SLOOOOWW! (my own experience)

Ivo

--

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net