[RC5] Proposal of organization of effort to win prime number contest

Jeff Woods jeff at telix.com
Thu Apr 8 10:20:31 EDT 1999

Frank, there is one problem with your proposal...  It is something I didn't
understand when I first came to d.net and I also was replied to with a
message similar to this one.

d.net is not about the money.   It never was, at least for a vast majority
of the people that participate.  That's why the effort givces 80% of the
prize money to charity in the encryption contests we've participated in.

d.net *is* about doing really cool things with distributed computing.
Most people are here for that purpose.   Those that are here for the
MONEY.... well, the problem with your proposal is that it won't do us any
good.  There's already another effort underway to find such a prime, and it
already has 9,000 participants, and likely more machines than that.   In
that effort, which is also already automated and includes most elements of
your proposal, the participant that finds the key also gets 100% (yes, ALL)
of the money.

Anyone who is in it just for the money is going to bail out to go to that
other effort.   Anything you set up here that isn't 100% finders-keepers
isn't going to keep those participants from jumping ship to the other
effort.   And d.net isn't bloody likely to change its focus from the joy of
the effort to cold hard dollars, or to change the 80% charitable gift focus.

If you want the money, go join GIMPS.   (I did shift a couple of machines
over to GIMPS, because I'm in it for both reasons -- money, and geek-cool).
  If you want to be a part of the fastest computer around, and to do really
cool things with encryption and distributed computing, and help out some
worthy causes when we succeed in an effort, choose d.net.

I see no reason to duplicate the efforts of GIMPS here on d.net, at least
not without the v3 engine.  Once v3 is fully operational, ANYONE should be
able to code an engine for Mersenne (or Proth) prime searches, link them
into the proxies, and participants can choose.   Until v3 is ready, though,
I think there are better places for d.net to hunt.