[RC5] SETI@Home has begun?

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Wed Apr 7 23:12:25 EDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 rmc at rmc.eti.br wrote:

> I think that SETI at Home will captivate lots of current D.Net contributors...
> What you think ?

	I've downloaded the Linux client and have been testing it out on one
of my machines. It's not nearly as slick as the d.net clients yet... not
much in the way of reporting, it starts out at niceness 1 rather than the 14
rc5des uses (easy enough to fix with renice), and it appears to just keel
over dead if it can't connect to the SETI server for whatever reason, rather
than lurking quietly until the server becomes available again, which makes
unattended operation a pain. These problems are all reasonably minor and
easy to fix, though, and nothing more than I'd expected from a beta.

	The big problem I have with it is that it uses something like 20M of
RAM. That's enough to force my 64M Linux box into pretty constant swapping
if I'm running anything else that uses a significant amount of RAM
(Netscape, X, and fvwm2 with pixmapped titlebars, as a purely random example
:) ). I'm not sure what it's doing that requires that much RAM, but if they
can't slim that footprint down, I don't think I'll be running it anything
like full time. At night when I'm not using the 64M box, maybe, and not at
all on anything with less RAM...

	It's a shame... I was really looking forward to SETI... I'd rather
look for aliens than crack encryption. I mean, cracking encryption's all
well and good, but if smashing DES in under a day didn't get the
government's attention, I don't know what good breaking RC5-64 in three or
four years is going to do...

	Oh well. On the bright side, it won't dent my RC5 keyrate the way
I'd expected...

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com