[RC5] SETI@Home

Rik van Riel riel at nl.linux.org
Wed Apr 7 22:46:45 EDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, David Taylor wrote:

> It dumps a ton of data to text files (I imagine you could kill the client,
> and mark everything as 100%, and the client would just send the data back,
> but there isn't much point as they dont have stats :)).

They _do_ have stats, but it's not as sophisticated as
the D.net stats system.

> It doesnt appear to support buffering - it just downloads 1
> 'block' sends it back, gets more, etc..

It also uses way too much bandwidth for dialup folks
in Europe (where we pay by the second), but it's a
great thing for computers with a permanent connection.

I've switched www.nl.linux.org from rc5des to Seti at Home
because I don't think that cracking 64-bit RC5 is very
useful. I'm still running rc5des at home though, with
8 times as much computational power...

I guess D.Net will lose quite a bit of computational
power if they don't switch to something useful very
soon (OGR comes to mind). Proving that 64-bit encryption
is strong enough by using 100.000 computers to still
not crack it just doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

I'll keep on supporting D.Net, just with less computer
power. Seti has the potential to be useful too, so I
don't see any reason not to help them as well.

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.
| Le Reseau netwerksystemen BV:               http://www.reseau.nl/ |
| Linux Memory Management site:  http://humbolt.geo.uu.nl/Linux-MM/ |
| Nederlandse Linux documentatie:          http://www.nl.linux.org/ |

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net