[RC5] SETI@Home has begun?

Faunce, Mike mfaunce at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 7 14:33:12 EDT 1999

Why is a screen saver bad?  Set your screen saver to 1 minute.  You stop
actively working, SETI at Home kicks in full force, you start working and it
stops.  Repeat as necessary.  This way there is no interaction with other
applications.  Sure, they may lose a small percentage of computer time that
they may have otherwise gotten, but they don't have any time limits.

I'm bored with RC5-64, I've been running it for over a year.  I've stopped
in on many of my PC's. It does have noticeable effects.  Those of you that
have been running it for a long time and immediately say "It has no
noticeable effects" should try removing it for a week.  It does have
noticeable effects, you (and me) have just gotten used to them.  I was in
the "you can't tell it's running" crowd until I stopped running it.  I don't
know when, and it's probably been a gradual thing, but over time the clients
have gotten more intrusive.  Maybe in the quest for "speed" the coders got a
little over zealous.  Maybe it's the "creeping featuritis" causing the code
to get bigger.  Maybe it's just ...

Anyway, I've "demoted" D.Net to "unused" PCs and taken it off of all the PCs
I actively use.

Hopefully D.Net will either:
1) start doing other projects that have foreseeable ends :
	1 a) re-do RC5-56 just to see how long it would take
	1 b) OGR -- whatever happened with that effort?
	1 c) that Prime number contest that was announced recently by EFF
2) work harder to make the client less noticeable
3) "hard core" people may not care about stats, but casual users do, if they
can't see what they've done, they won't continue

Mike