[RC5] Idea for helping to expand the number of systems running.

N. H. hopper at jewishmail.com
Fri Apr 9 12:03:38 EDT 1999

--

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:57:26    Wilcoxon, Steve wrote:
>I had an idea for how Independent Consultants, VAR's , and others could
>help get more people involved in distributed.net. If they could give a
>small discount to a client or customer if as part of their work they
>permitted distributed.net client software to be installed and configured
>on their systems(s).

This would never fly...people are really skeptical of this sort of thing--security reasons and all.

It's hard enough to explain to an *interested* person what the project is and how it works. It's an excellent idea as an ocean of idle computers sit. But people tend not to appreciate foreign programs sapping CPU time.

I realize no actualy risks are present, but the public seems to think the worst will always happen.

Regards,
Nathan Hopper

JEWISHMAIL: a service of the Jewish Communication Network, http://www.jcn18.com.