[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #275

Kai Rode kai_rode at bigfoot.com
Sat Apr 10 10:15:38 EDT 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:20:54 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>Hopefully D.Net will either:
>1) start doing other projects that have foreseeable ends :
>	1 a) re-do RC5-56 just to see how long it would take
>	1 b) OGR -- whatever happened with that effort?

There has recently been a .plan update which says that they have working
code. However it is too late for OGR-22 which is almost completed. The
coders of OGR-20 and OGR-21 released beta code to test their program,
and suddenly they had about 1000 people working on OGR-22. Now they're
almost done with OGR-22 while they're still officially only testing the
program. :-) Maybe the dnet client will be ready for OGR-23.

>	1 c) that Prime number contest that was announced recently by EFF

IMHO not a very good idea. Checking just one possible prime number takes
more than one week on a fast P-II. People with slower computers might
lose interest if they don't see their stats increase for several weeks
and we might lose many assigned numbers.

	Kai
--
PGP public key available from servers. 0x71D4AD11/0x5CCA01F5
 *Look at http://home.wtal.de/kender/distributed.html *

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net