[RC5] SETI@Home

Rik van Riel riel at nl.linux.org
Mon Apr 12 22:58:33 EDT 1999

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 rmc at rmc.eti.br wrote:

> The same people who is used to get screen savers running, always
> change them from time to time, because they get "bored".

If they can amuse themselves by looking at a screen saver,
they must have been bored from the start :)

> So, I really didn't figure out why a screensaver so far. A nice
> gui client would be great. And hey, they also know that there is
> distributed.net. What I mean is, why not make a client as slick as
> it is ???

Maybe it would be a good idea to program some kind of
'common' frontend for all the distributed computing
projects out there.  Then people can use that frontend
to choose:
- which contest (if any) they want to participate in
- which contest they CAN participate in (network bandwidth, etc)
- the configuration parameters
- the screen saver (so the bored people don't leave)

Another advantage is that VAR's can preload the frontend on
every computer they sell -- the user will have to download
(also automagically?) a client herself later on.

A third advantage is that the frontend will also download the
latest and fastest client...

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.
| Le Reseau netwerksystemen BV:               http://www.reseau.nl/ |
| Linux Memory Management site:  http://humbolt.geo.uu.nl/Linux-MM/ |
| Nederlandse Linux documentatie:          http://www.nl.linux.org/ |

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net