[RC5] Proposal of organization of effort to win prime number contest

Roby Van Hoye DeRoby at mail.dma.be
Mon Apr 12 21:04:02 EDT 1999

At 00:25 12/04/99 -0400, Ben Fletcher wrote:
>Roby Van Hoye wrote:
>>
>> Let D.net become a user on GIMPS, redistribute the errr, keys. (might be
>> tricky, although...) and let the winner have 20% of the revenues, 20% goes
>> to D.net (v3 servers) and the rest is given to a good cause (medical help
>> for Kosovo for instance)
>> It can't be that difficult to include the Prime client inside the D.Net
>> client as the source code comes for free..
>>
>> My $0.02
>>
>> Cu
>> Roby.
>
>Interesting thought, but I do have one fundamental question:
>
>Why would someone like me, a relative newbie without strong loyalty to
>d.net, want to give up any percent of the $50k in return for nothing?

'GeekNess with a capital G' ;-)

D.net would be able to zip trough this in no time (err, well, it might take
even us a while, but you know what I mean... )

*I* will never make it to the Top 1000 producers at GIMPS, but it'd be
great to become part of the number one (with a large marge) GIMPS producing
D.Net entry... (does this make sense, even gramatically ?)

The GIMPS effort does only half a terraflop, but somewhere on the D.net
pages it reads we do 'a damn lot of MFLOPS'
(http://www.distributed.net/statistics/stats.html ,the number doesn't fit
the page :-), hell, I think we have about 12 times the computing power
compared to what the entire GIMPS effort has to offer !!

>If I want to help d.net or a charity, I could just give them a piece of
>the action after I win (that'll happen).

True, but as a team we stand stronger... Now you **might** win something,
together we're in business ...

>This next comment has probably been made several times regarding the
>Prime client, but why doesn't it check in more often (by default) so
>that users can look up more meaningful stats and GIMPS has a better
>handle on the status of things?  The reason I make the comment here,
>though, is that the D.net Prime client could make a higher priority of
>intermediate stats and attract more people like me who get a kick out of
>them.

voila, GIMPS is rather 'scientific' minded whereas D.Net is more 'geek'
minded. (that off course is my personal interpretation and is in no way
meant to be offensive or insulting !!!)

>My $0.015 :)

You lost half a cent on stamps ? :)
Cu