[RC5] Rc5 getting old?

Markus Landgren marla252 at student.liu.se
Thu Apr 15 02:38:40 EDT 1999

At 17:44 1999-04-14 +0100, David Taylor wrote:

>According to the SETI at home FAQ the SETI project will only run for 2
>years, then shut down.  Though I have a feeling if they attract lots of
>people they may try to run more 'historical' data through the clients.

If SETI at home works out like it should, I'm confident they'll
record new data for analysis. Probably in other frequency bands.
I don't think they'll send out any older recordings. In SETI you
want to minimize the time from a first detection to the follow-up
detections. Like in all science; if a result is impossible to
repeat, it didn't happen. In fact, the several weeks from recording
to analysis is probably the weakest point in the SETI at home project.

And to bring the subject line into my message: I think rc5 is
boring. I'm switching to SETI at home as soon as a windows client is
available. Finding extra-terrestrial intelligence would change the
world forever. Finding "The Key" in rc5-64 won't. Besides, the fact
that we _know_ the key is there makes the search less exciting.

--
Markus Landgren
marla252 at student.liu.se, vader at mensa.se

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net