[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #277

Brice D. Fleckenstein nospam at surf-ici.com
Thu Apr 15 23:30:19 EDT 1999

> I have run DOS 6.2 and the DOS client off a floppy. I didn't do a real
> scientific study but it looks like having to access the floppy really
> slows it down.

 Turn OFF "exit file checking" and kick the "chktime" parameter way up
(or disable chkfile usage alltogether) helps a LOT on floppy-based
machines.

 I have a buncha K5-75 machines - the LINUX ones pull right at 240k/sec,
the single DOS floppy-based one pulls right at 239k - and when I tried
Win95 on one of those machines it pulled less than 238k.

 Also, there is a lot of varience on THE SAME MACHINE from one block to
the next - so when I run average speed testing, I use at least a full
day's worth of work as a benchmark.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net