[RC5] Quantum Computing

Adam Zilinskas AZilinskas at SolutionsIQ.com
Fri Apr 16 15:30:05 EDT 1999

http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/1999/Apr/hour1b_041699.html
http://qso.lanl.gov/qc/

Kind of interesting. Not quite sure if it could be adapted
 to be used in d.net or not.  Maybe all the different
 processors available on d.net would simulate the
 quantum bits they talk about.

I have no way gotten near to digesting this stuff yet
(the online radio talk that will be available via RealAudio
 in a week or so after 4/16 ). They mentioned you
 are getting close to understanding this when you get dizzy.

 Maybe if I spin my deskchair around twenty times really fast...

This is a repost in that the original form came out in MIME.
Since then I did some dizzy thinking.  I may be close or
 really off in left field.

Lets see, quantum physics stuff has the state of things are
  in probabilities. The Hiesenburg Uncertainy Principle said
 that you can measure where a particle is, or its speed/direction
 but can't know both at once. The act of measuring fixes
 the state, you know a flipped coin is 50% heads 50% tails,
 but looking at the coin, it is in its head or tails state.

Well this means something with quantum states could be in any
 of its states, where it actually is  described by a probability.
 Now if you put constraints on the particle, most likely bound in a
 molecule or a crystal, the probabilities are adjusted. Do it the
 right way, you can form logic-like functions (if the electron of
 an hydrogen atom is given a certain spin AND certain energy,
 it will have a 90% chance of being in their particular orbit)
Now you just have to set up the situation just right and in
 taking a measurement, you get a solution state. One of the
 web links showed that they are using NMR (Nucleo Magneto
 Resonance) to set stuff like calcium flouride (toothpaste)
  spinning in just the right way and the radio wave it emits
  gives them an answer.

The closest thing I can think of are Laplace curves. A soap
 bubble film over a wire frame will take on the lowest energy
 surface on its own. I have heard of an MIT architect that designed
 some very swoopy organic structures this way. They also turned
 out to be quite stable as the shape never took on a stressful
 situation (the soap film would pop or flow to a better configuration).

Now what could this means to d.net ?
Well, given enough work, there may someday be a dollop of
  Crest toothpaste that could crack RC5 in the time it takes
  to set it up with proper constraints and read its state.
Another possibility which makes me think of speculative
  out of order instruction fetching on new processors. If there
  is a problem like a local minimum search, d.net could distribute
  out all the possible local states out to be solved at the same time.
  Better solutions would be saved and a finer search distributed
  based upon that.

If I understand the RC5 problem, we cannot tell if we are getting
  close, we must plod on all possible keys until one fits. But for
  problems like chess moves, we could search all promising moves
  and the response moves they generate. The problem is coordinating
  this tree search. Hmmm, BigBlue can do chess in that way, has anyone
  done the equivalent for the Chinese game Go ?

                  Adam Zilinskas
                  Solutions IQ
                  azilinskas at solutionsiq.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net