Handy Utilities webpage?? Was Re: [RC5] Log analiser

Paul Turpie turpie at pmail.net
Mon Apr 19 15:25:58 EDT 1999

This gave me idea.  I run an offline proxy here at work, and usually
sneaker-net
it's buffer files to my non-networked PC to transfer blocks.  But when I
can't do
an update for a while because of things like holidays or real work
interruptions
the proxies buff-out file gets too big for a floppy.  When this happens I
have to
lug my modem, its power supply and cable across to our other building, so
the proxy can transfer its blocks.
What would save me a lot of trouble would be a buff-out splitter so I could
take
a 1400Kb chunk of blocks at a time back to my own PC for submission.
Replenishing buff-in is easier because in my situation I just wait until its
empty
before I replace buff-in with a new full file, and just let the clients
generate a few
random blocks in the mean time.
Another problem I have when buff-out gets too big, is that even after I get
the
proxy to update its buffers the buff-out file stays at its extra inflated
size.  This
would make sense if the file was only going to fill to that size again, but
in my
case means I need remember to delete the empty buff-out.  This problem
could be avoided if there were a -compact option for the proxies.

Paul Turpie
System Administrator
Brian Dunn Bendigo
E-mail Personal: turpie at pemail.net