Handy Utilities webpage?? Was Re: [RC5] Log analiser

Robert A. Rosenberg Bob.Rosenberg at digitscorp.com
Sun Apr 18 00:11:30 EDT 1999

At 13:56 -0700 on 04/16/99, Charles Franks wrote about Handy
Utilities webpage??  Was Re: [RC5] Log analiser:

>I know that I have seen at least a few requests along these lines.  Is there
>a 'Handy Utilities webpage' on d.net or anywhere else? If not, should there
>be?? This would be a good avenue for people who are looking for utilities
>like this and for people who like to write them  :)  (Who knows maybe someone
>would finally write a handy utility to combine two buff-in files into one!!

This Utility ALREADY exists and you have a copy of it - It is the
Client Itself. While the client is not running move a BUFF-IN (or
BUFF-OUT) file into the RC5 folder after renaming it to the name of
your Checkpoint File. When the Client is then started the contents
will be merged into the correct file (note that BUFF-IN ranges are
added to the start of the list in reverse order so the new ranges
will get checked first but in the reverse order to what they would
have been checked if the file had been used as-was - If you rename
your current BUFF-IN and replace it the one to be merged in, your
current ranges will get checked before the merged ranges but will
still be in reverse order - to preserve the order, do a
rename/start/stop and then the rename/copy/start). I do not know
about the WIN32 clients but the Mac ones only need to be
PAUSED/HALTED to move in the Checkpoint file - no need to actually
stop the client.