[RC5] Re: File splitter

Bruce Ford b.ford at qut.edu.au
Wed Apr 21 12:25:31 EDT 1999

> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 07:49:58 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Adam C Luter <gryn at gryn.dyn.marko.net>
> Subject: Re: Handy Utilities webpage??  Was Re: [RC5] Log analiser
>
> Hi,
>
>    Well looks like you people aren't from a *nix background :) .  Anyway,
> just use a small utility like split that is available for DOS.  I believe
> PC-World made it like 9 years ago or some other ungodly time in the past
> :) .   It's really small and all it does is split a file into small chucks
> for fitting on disks.  (The first time I used it was to get around the
> "copy protection" for I believe Wolfenstien, which had a 1.6 meg file,
> which of course wouldn't fit on a disk :) ).
>
>   Cheers!
>   Gryn
>
> p.s.  I'd attach the program even, since it's like less than 10k, but I
> don't have it, I don't use DOS anymore, try www.download.com or something.
> :)  Gluck!

slice.com from PC Magazine is the program you are referring to.
Creates a small program (splice.com) on the first disk which
recreates the original file after it is split across disks using
whatever space is available on each disk.

msdos/pcmag/slice13.zip at a simtel.net mirror near you.

Bruce Ford                                      b.ford at qut.edu.au
Systems Programmer
Teaching and Learning Support Services          Ph: +61 7 3864 1178
Queensland University of Technology

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net