[RC5] Tree search algorithms and the next d.net

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 19:42:09 EDT 1999

Adam Zilinskas said:

> From: David Cantrell:
> >This suffers from the same problem as we found when talking about
> >distributed graphics rendering.  The customers DEMAND a particular
> > turn-around time; they DEMAND reliability.
>
> I guess that I am thinking of a co-op type system.
> There are times you want to crunch a big problem
>  but can't afford to own a Cray-equivalent. You can
>  afford a $10,000 system (or pick a reasonable price).
>  You can get Cray-like performance by teaming up with
>  a thousand other machines like yours. The pay back to
>  the group is that when you are finished, your machine
>  is idle so that others can make use of it in exchange
>  of using their CPU cycles.

[snip]

None of this answers my objection, which is that *D.NET* can't offer
the necessary guarantees.  This isn't to say that other similar
projects can't.  Indeed, the architecture of the soon-to-be-commercial
rendering farm I operate is remarkably similar to d.net.

--
David Cantrell - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

   "Sometimes he would berate chestnuts for being lazy"

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net