[RC5] A look towards the future (?)

Greg Hewgill greg at hewgill.com
Sat Apr 24 01:39:13 EDT 1999

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 02:04:17AM +0200, Richard Menedetter wrote:
> Sorry to say so ... but I don't care about the OGR Project.

No offense taken - we certainly recognize that everybody has their own
preferences on what project(s) to do. We want to make that choice as broad as
possible.

> The thing I want very much is a client, which can participate in many
> projects.

Adding OGR (or other non-crypto project) is the first step in the realization
of such a design. So far, the distributed.net client has had a single type of
project to work with. We have rearranged much of the code internally to support
multiple types of projects.

>  GH> The OGR project is scheduled to be included in a version 2.8 client.
>  GH> OGR was not intended to be a "v3-only" project.
> I see it the other way round.
> I don't care about OGR, but a V3 client is VERY essential.

Absolutely. My statement was intended to clear up a misconception that our
plans for an OGR client were somehow affected by the distributed.net/Cosm
split.

> What are the new plans for v3 ... will it have the capability to exchange the
> projects ... (eg change between many projects)

Absolutely. See Decibel's recent post to this list about that.

Greg Hewgill
distributed.net Coding Team

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net