[RC5] If you were writing our next client, what would you put in it?

Zypher zypher at clanusr.com
Sat Apr 24 11:32:43 EDT 1999

Modular: a base client that can accept plugins somewhat like browsers. Plug
in new projects as they come along, pick and choose which ones run on the
machine. (so you could give equal portions of idle time to two or three
projects for ex)

OPTIONAL :) auto-updates...along with a warning. Some of us are willing to
take a little risk to keep machnes up to date. It was quite a pain to
manually update 40+ machines so they could do the quick DES contest. Sure,
third party utilities helped, but each machine took two minutes to refresh
for some reason. And I could only do one at a time :/

This leads to...a master console, not third party :) Something to watch over
all those clients, reporting etc.

I was really waiting for V3...just like everyone else. RC5 seems to me to
only be good for watching stats. We've proven that even 50,000+ active
emails (who knows how many computers...200,000?) takes 500+ days to reach
7%. I enjoy that, but I was hoping to have more things in those stats like
"Has found X OGR keys and scanned X megabytes of SETI radio data" or
whatever.
zypher at clanusr.com
www.halflife.net/rc5
"No, not bad spelling, bad typing"