[RC5] If you were writing our next client, what would you put in it?

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 18:23:00 EDT 1999

> I would like to see some kind of system of primary and secondary buffer
> files.  I.E.  I usually feed buffers over a home LAN.  Lets say you have a
> laptop plugged into this LAN.  Whenever the client on it needs to read or
> write to the buffer, it first tries to access the buffers on my main desktop
> computer via the network.  If it is unable to do this (either because I am
> away from home with it or the network is not working), it should have the
> option of using a secondary set of buffer files (in this case I would make
> them local to the laptop).  This way if something goes wrong early in the
> night, all the blocks done that night are not disgarded.  I could also work
> away from home without the hassle of manually swapping buffer files and
> changing .ini files.

I was thinking about this a lot, but since setting up a perproxy on my
home LAN everything's fine.  The laptop _usually_ just sits on the LAN,
working with small (10 block) buffers.  Prior to taking it away I
simply shut the client down cos running the CPU at 100% all the time
eats batteries.  [thinks - could I have a cron job check every few
minutes to see if the power has changed and do this automagically?]

In general, it's safe to assume that a LAN will always be up,
particularly if it's a small one at home.  Whether your other machines
are up is a different matter, but if you're serious about your keyrate
you NEVER turn 'em off ;-)

--
David - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

" First, there are no rules; second, if you break any of
  them, you will be treated to some classic British sarcasm "
   From the uk.rec.climbing FAQ

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net