[RC5] Dnet and K6/233 CPU cooling

Jamie Town gwar at silcom.com
Tue Apr 27 17:05:11 EDT 1999

As the weather warms up here California, I notice that my CPU is running
very warm (verging on hot) despite the large, cross-flow heatsink with
attached fan and the auxillary fan blowing air across the heatsink.  Since
it's an old K6/233 (3.2v), I know it's notorious for running hot but it's
getting to the point of instability on hot days.  I've been encountering
NT4's blue-screen-of-death more frequently that I'd like.  I put a third
fan (with much greater airflow) aimed at the CPU heatsink and that seems to
have taken care of it but I was wondering what others do to cool these
inefficient beasts.  (My case now has 4 fans going and it's obnoxiously loud.)

Of course, turning off the Dnet client results in a cool CPU with no extra
fans.  :)

I flipped thru the good ol' MPJA catalog yesterday and put in an order for
a pentium-sized peltier cooler mounted to a big heatsink ($14.95), some
thermal goop, and as big a fan as I can mount on the heatsink (going for
maximum airflow instead of minimum noise).  Hopefully that'll let me cut
back on the extra fans.

Any better ideas aside from 100cfm of fresh air or a liquid nitrogen system?

Thanks,
Jamie

"Three monkeys, ten minutes."
   - Dogbert