[RC5] New Client features

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 21:53:38 EDT 1999

dan carter said:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:20:19 -0700, Torren Craigie-Manson wrote:
> >I'd like to see either a remote control function that's platform
> >independant
>
> Try VNC, building this sort of functionality would IMO, bloat the
> client for a function that it is best to have other programs perform.

It already has code for using TCP/IP sockets.  How much 'bloat' would
it add to understand a really simple protocol such as (assuming the RC5
cracker is the SERVER, listening on a known port):
  CLIENT: tell me your config
  SERVER: either "Get lost!" or
  SERVER: <file length (as ASCII chars); newline; .ini file>
  SERVER: <refuses to accept any more requests for [configurable]
           minutes or until client sends back the new config>
and
  CLIENT: I have a new config for you
  SERVER: either "Gimme!" or
  SERVER: "Get lost!"
  CLIENT: (assuming server agreed)
          <file length (as ASCII chars); newline; .ini file>
  SERVER: <reloads config>

The only 'intelligence' required is in the _client_ which has to
provide a nice interface for first retreiving the current config from
the server, then parsing the file (trivial), needs to have a point n'
click interface for munging the values, and finally, an easy way to
send the new config back to the keycracker.

The configurator would be simple to write in Java.

Obviously, I've assumed that the connections are always trusted, but
adding password authentication would not be hard; nor would restricting
the configurator to particular IPs.  I've also assumed a multi-
threading cracker, so it can listen for configurator requests at the
same time as cracking keys.

> Join Team New Zealand #362!

Join the EAC Decryption Squad #7713!

--
David Cantrell, http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp

Wales: n, a country where there are no vowels in the place names
  because everybody uses vowels from the fourth dimension that
  simply cannot be transcribed into English.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net