[RC5] Dnet and K6/233 CPU cooling

Adam Zilinskas AZilinskas at SolutionsIQ.com
Thu Apr 29 12:12:07 EDT 1999

The problem might be the circulation of air in the
 case. A big fan on a heatsink will not help if the surrounding
 air is already at 100 degrees (F).

Along with blowing air into the case (typically in the
 front bottom), you need to pull the hot air out of the
 case. Most system rely only on the power supply fan to
 do that.

Think about the path the warm air takes off the CPU
 heatsink to get out of the case, there may be wide
 flat disk cables and such blocking the flow.
 Some careful placement of these cables may help.

There are fans that take up an unused ISA/PCI slot
  that will blow hot air out. I think this may work:
http://www.krex.com/cart/index.ptml?ses=0VDwmluk

I have also seen hack jobs by people and by companies
 like HP on some models of the Vectra where they
 build duct work to channel air specifically at
 the CPU heatsink direct from outside the case.

An extreeme case of this is a Kryotek cooler:
http://www.anandtech.com/html/review_display.cfm?document=908&pagenum=3

Oh, the peltier coolers, they use alot of power to
  make one plate cold. All the heat (both the CPUs and
  the heat generated by the Peltier itself) shows up on the
  other side of the block. It really needs some serious air flow
  to pull that heat away. IMHO, better placement of fans
  is much cheaper and better than a baby fridge for the
  top of the CPU. (You also will have to worry about water
  condensing on the cold part of the peltier).

                  Adam Zilinskas
                  Solutions IQ
                  azilinskas at solutionsiq.com