[RC5] Dnet and K6/233 CPU cooling

Roby Van Hoye DeRoby at mail.dma.be
Fri Apr 30 13:02:16 EDT 1999

At 11:12 29/04/99 -0700, Adam Zilinskas wrote:
>The problem might be the circulation of air in the
> case. A big fan on a heatsink will not help if the surrounding
> air is already at 100 degrees (F).
>
>Along with blowing air into the case (typically in the
> front bottom), you need to pull the hot air out of the
> case. Most system rely only on the power supply fan to
> do that.

My CPU seemed to be overheating to, as were all other components in my
tower case, esp. the vga and voodoo card.
What I did was opening my PSU and reverse the position of the fan.
That is : it was blowing air in the psu that was directed over the CPU
(seems to be the way they designed ATX boxes) thus [theoratically] not
needing additionial fans for the cpu. I've got a PII300 running at 338Mhz
and the first thing I did was installing a cooling element with integrated
fan, trust me, it still get's warm enough to fry an egg.
By reversing the flow, air is now 'sucked' out of my computer into the
room, and as the PSU is located in top of the towercase it's mostly
warm/hot air that is pulled out causing cool air to enter via the bottom.
All components now tend to feel much cooler (just warm in stead of hot) and
by means of experiment I've put some 'sound absorbing material' on the
inside casing, probably causing major isolation, but still occasional test
indicate the temperature stays well inside acceptable limits.

BTW : a negatieve effect might be that probably more (floor-)dust etc. is
gathering inside the computer, so a regular de-dusting (compressed air)
might be in order.

>Oh, the peltier coolers, they use alot of power to
>  make one plate cold. All the heat (both the CPUs and
>  the heat generated by the Peltier itself) shows up on the
>  other side of the block. It really needs some serious air flow
>  to pull that heat away. IMHO, better placement of fans
>  is much cheaper and better than a baby fridge for the
>  top of the CPU. (You also will have to worry about water
>  condensing on the cold part of the peltier).

OTOH : Peltier makes no sound at all. (if you could link the hot-side to a
large coolsink (try to make warm water with it :) you'd have no moving
parts at all... ) But I guess that's just toying around with expensive
stuff. Interesting nonetheless :)