[RC5] New Client features

David Taylor rc5 at xfiles.nildram.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 09:23:50 EDT 1999

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, dan carter wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:20:19 -0700, Torren Craigie-Manson wrote:
> >I'd like to see either a remote control function that's platform
> >independant
>
> Try VNC, building this sort of functionality would IMO, bloat the
> client for a function that it is best to have other programs perform.

IMO, the clients/proxies/whatever should all accept some kind of built-in
remote control, e.g. accept connections on port X, and (with
appropriate security) allow them to: restart, kill, flush, fetch, update,
view/alter config, view log, view stats, possibly trigger an update check,
or even send the uuencoded client through the connection, etc.

That would allow easy building of a remote control system, which
*wouldn't* need to fiddle around with (sometimes non-existant) signals to
do very simple things..

Creating various perl scripts to manipulate the client with that sort
of system would be *easy* [assuming reasonably documented protocal], once
you have got working socket code (I've now got dual non-blocking socket IO
working, so IMO, I'm getting pretty good with perl sockets :))

--
David Taylor
E-Mail:	dtaylor at nildram.co.uk.spam
ICQ:	268004