[RC5] Project Order^M^M^M^M^Value (corrections)

Ilmari Karonen iltzu at sci.fi
Thu Dec 2 13:11:50 EST 1999

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Zypher wrote:
> If anyone would care to come up with a calc formula (using the 'increasing
> value per block over time' mentioned) for RC5 and CSC where you simply plug
> in # of blocks and % of keyspace done at end, that'd be fine by me. Extra
> credit if you write a program that does it for us :)

Easy enough.

 1. Finding the right key is worth a constant amount of money.
 2. Each unchecked key is equally likely to be the right one.
 3. Re-checking an already checked key is worth nothing.

Therefore the expected worth of checking a single key is the prize money
divided by the number of *unchecked* keys.

On the other hand, estimating the worth of a key after the contest is over
is about as meaningful as estimating the worth of a lottery ticket after
the lottery.

--
Ilmari Karonen - http://www.sci.fi/~iltzu/
"the d.net mascot as far as I'm concerned is a loadmeter pegged at 100%"