[RC5] Blockexpiring 'cause of CSC?

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Wed Dec 1 19:27:22 EST 1999

Rocko wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I'm running CSC for a while now and remembered those 1000s of RC5 blocks
> laying around in my perproxy and clients.
> CSC seems to last for a couple of month, so its likely to finish a
> RC5-keyspace before continuing RC5 on my machines and
> maybe the 90 day delay till the blocks will be reissued will be over
> too. And even not: OGR should come after CSC and my RC5 Blocks
> will be really old until that.

Fnot at this point... I can't remember the last time we recycled a
subspace. I'm almost certain it's been over a year. There's noal need
for us to recycle now that we have a fair amount of disk space available
on the master.

> Here are some other questions I have:
> * How do perproxies serve blocks? (FIFO, LIFO, depends on which blocks
> are requested (2^28,2^31))?
PProxies are fifo, and can split blocks (they request 2^33's from full
proxies). Cliens are pseudo-fifo, but can default back to LIFO under
certain conditions (I don't know the details here...)

> * Will CSC code become optimized, or doesen't it make sense since CSC
> doesn't last for long?
There are several CSC optimization efforts going on. I believe that one
of our mac guys is working on a G4 core, and one of our users is working
on an MMX core. There are a lot of other projects that coders are
working on, so it's hard to know how much optimization will be made to
the cores.

> * Does OGR start before CSC ends?
We hope. :) This is one of the projects that's going on.