[RC5] CSC

ENOJON at delphi.com ENOJON at delphi.com
Fri Dec 3 10:00:26 EST 1999

<<The trouble is, we don't have a whole lot to show as a graph.  keyrates, perhaps
, but that's not very interesting.  the best we could do would be to show each k
ey as it's checked, which would slow the process enourmosly, and at x thousand k
eys per second, wouldn't be readable anyway.  Perhaps we could show a random sam
pling of keys tested, or just show random hex values (that don't neccesarily cor
respond with what's being t0ested), and do some sort of effect to make them look
 fancy, while showing them at a suffieciently high rate of speed that it looks l
ike the client is working pretty fast, then do a small "buffer remaining" and "b
lock progress" indicator at the bottom.  You could even have a datafile of enoug
h random key values to just loop them without the user noticing duplicates, so t
hat the processor effort required to generate random keys wouldn't be required.>>

okay, if it will be totally "bogus" f/x, then why not go "Hollywood" and
do the Star Trek "blinking lights" console bit?  or the "marquee" of 1's
and 0's flowing across a panel?

btw... as if things were not bad enough, [slurping a bit of coffee from
his SETI at Home coffee mug and adjusting his SETI at Home baseball cap]...

yup!  The SETI at Home Store.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net