[RC5] CSC

Jeremiah Gowdy jgowdy at home.com
Thu Dec 2 15:56:46 EST 1999

> The trouble is, we don't have a whole lot to show as a graph.  keyrates,
perhaps, but that's not very interesting.  the best we could do would be to
show each key as it's checked, which would slow the process enourmosly, and
at x thousand keys per second, wouldn't be readable anyway.  Perhaps we
could show a random sampling of keys tested, or just show random hex values
(that don't neccesarily correspond with what's being t0ested), and do some
sort of effect to make them look fancy, while showing them at a
suffieciently high rate of speed that it looks like the client is working
pretty fast, then do a small "buffer remaining" and "block progress"
indicator at the bottom.  You could even have a datafile of enough random
key values to just loop them without the user noticing duplicates, so that
the processor effort required to generate random keys wouldn't be required.

I think all that mess is a little too fancy.  I liked the Win32 GUI client
because it had menus and was easy to setup and configure, and it had the
hidden option.  Other than that, I wouldn't mind the program showing it's
current keyrate, updated every few seconds, on the titlebar maybe.  At least
once every block, so that you don't have to scan through the log.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net