[RC5] CSC

Filipe Joel Almeida fja at mail.nbporto.novabase.pt
Fri Dec 3 08:54:36 EST 1999

> The trouble is, we don't have a whole lot to show as a graph.
>  keyrates, perhaps, but that's not very interesting.  the
> best we could do would be to show each key as it's checked,
> which would slow the process enourmosly, and at x thousand
> keys per second, wouldn't be readable anyway.  Perhaps we
> could show a random sampling of keys tested, or just show
> random hex values (that don't neccesarily correspond with
> what's being t0ested), and do some sort of effect to make
> them look fancy, while showing them at a suffieciently high
> rate of speed that it looks like the client is working pretty
> fast, then do a small "buffer remaining" and "block progress"
> indicator at the bottom.  You could even have a datafile of
> enough random key values to just loop them without the user
> noticing duplicates, so that the processor effort required to
> generate random keys wouldn't be required.

You know... I really don't give a damn about what shows up in the screen!
All I really am looking for is SOMETHING fancy that allows me to convince
those SETI users to join Dnet... Imagine the potential that lies there!!
Among the people I know, the proportion between Dnet and SETI users is
1-10... and I bet this happens with many of others. It makes me mad that
they are only working on SETI because of the graphics and I can't get them
to work on Dnet. There could be 2 types of clients one like the one we got
right now, and other with a gui interface, or some fancy screensavers for
the guys currently working at SETI, and others that don't join Dnet because
they think there's no fun in just having a cow (or whatever else) in the
system tray!

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net