[RC5] Screen Saver

Zypher zypher at jknust.com
Thu Dec 2 20:31:15 EST 1999


I rather like the fancy stuff *as an option*.

There are some people....no...MANY people (ask SETI) who _will not run a
client_ unless it has fancy pantsy crap in it.

I for one could care less about fluff, but it would be foolish to not take
advantage of every last cpu cycle we can get. If it reduces their client
performance by 10%, ___we will still get the other 90%___ which in all
likelyhood we never would have seen if 'client only - screw the fluff'.

You could argue that enough current 'non-fluffers' would change to 'fluff
mode' and our overall keyrate would suffer. I bet ***every last one of my
RC5 and CSC blocks done*** that this would not be the case. The flood of
'commoners' would easily wipe away any speed reduction.

---inflamatory sarcasm follows---
I mean, if we have no fancy option, lets get rid of stats then. Those are
wasted cpu cyles that could be used. In fact, why bother with client
configuration? The time they waste to type in their own email could be used
to do a million keys!!! (prob true even though I took it off the top of my
head) Heck lets give it top priority while we're at it, like they really
need to play that game or type an email that fast anyway. Hell lets filter
out blocks from overclocked cpus, since they aren't 'pure enough'.
---end sarcasm---

I think this is very important to dnet and its future.

We are shutting out a potentially huge segment of the world here. If people
will by imacs (hey, I airbrushed my case car-metal blue & black, but its
made of steel instead of plastic :) because they look 'cute'...then they
will run a 'cute' dnetc.exe likewise. Most people do not buy a Ferrari
because its the 'fastest car' (which is, BTW, a modified McLaren [sp?] F1
@240mph ~$1M street legal, if you discount those with rockets or jet engines
strapped on ;) but because it looks damn nice, is fast enough and a very big
status symbol. Someone with the right 'cheap car' could soup it up enough to
beat the ferrari for a lot less money. Theres an entire lifestyle based on
that, e.g. musclecars :)


The easiest way to do this is to have a 'base client' that can accept thrid
party plugins, much like photoshop and winamp. Dnet could have links of
'checked' plugins that are safe adn functional, and I'm sure if they started
a page and told everyone, they would have 100 submissions by the next day.

For those of us running linux, a web server or busy fragging online, we
don't care. But we are the dedicated, the chosen few. The unwashed masses'
cpu cycles are just as good as ours though.

/heres to the fall of CSC and RC5
-------------------------------------------------
rc5 at planetfortress.com
Halflife/TF RC5
www.planetfortress.com/rc5

Waiting sucks
http://services.bellsouth.net/external/adsl/
http://services.bellsouth.net/external/adsl/map_rlgh.html
-------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net
rc5-digest subscribers replace rc5 with rc5-digest



More information about the rc5 mailing list