[RC5] d.net / seti

Lee Conte leeconte at att.net
Sat Dec 4 09:57:51 EST 1999

I'm sure it's true that a lot of SETIists are attracted to the graphics, but
I am also sure that another major reason why so many are attracted to the
project is because it is SETI ... ooo, finding alien signals from
outerspace!  Not many people get off on cracking encryption algorithms by
brute force ... this is an entirely different thing, and I think you have to
have some fondness for mathematics/CS to get into it.  Most people probably
would still have no idea what these d.net projects are all about after
reading every word on the website.  How many would be doing d.net if there
was no cash prize? ... maybe 1/10 as many, graphics or not, probably less
than that.  Think about it.