[RC5] Gene sequencing next d.net project?

Einstein X. Mystery einstein at scn.org
Tue Dec 7 01:41:25 EST 1999

> > What kind of programs are used now to perform this now?
> > What structure do these programs have?
>
> The majority are single process programs.  Essentially they rotate,
> shorten, lengthen and do other 3D transformations and recalculate the
> total free energy at every step.  You can restrict the locus of rotation
> or you can give the computer free reign.  Typically the end result is a
> more stable conformation.  You can then plug this conformation in and do
> some tweaking and find a more stable confromation.  Typically this goes
> on until nothing  more stable is found.
>
> What would you propose?
How much time does it take for one analysis? That could be the
benchmark.

Then, from the server, the client would get a set of deformation to the
protein. (Joint F, 20º - 30º increment .001º, in a certain plane.) Test
all those, then report back. Each degree, or whatever division thereof,
would be a block.

Every night/week/month, instead of the stats run (or in addition too, if
there's enough processor power there), the server would compile all the
data, mesh the results, and pick new sets to test. These would be
distributed.

Of course, the complicated part will be in creating that server.
**        Hey, C|Net! This is my .sig! Don't print this part!       **
"When two tigers fight, one dies, and the other is crippled."
 - Chinese proverb

No matter how nice things get, at least somebody out there knows
competition isn't about fitness or personal growth or moral victory,
but about kicking somebody's ass.
  - suck.com  Jan 19, 1999

"Boy, if I was a woman with absolutely no intelligence or taste
 whatsoever, I'd be first in line to date him."
 - Travis L. Eberle

Anti-spam link - don't follow
http://e-scrub.com/spammers-are-leeches/index.htm

Einstein X. Mystery   einstein at scn.org  *:->  ICQ UIN 17112996
If you have a question, ask.    928/968? 959! (You're wrong, Tom.)
Still the only enlisted man ever to be in the LSpr-c
Do you know where your towel is?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net