[RC5] d.net / seti

Basil A. Daoust basildaoust at home.com
Mon Dec 6 19:00:37 EST 1999

MAYBE,

   IMHO people do SETI because it feels more like a social contribution.
The graphics are cute for about 10 minutes.  I'd rather just see the top half
of the gui client.

   The serious SETI users were running CLI versions.  This might change if
they have released or when they release the next client.  I switched
from the seti screen saver mode to setiBuff and stuff so that when the
SETI server decided to ignore me, I could just move on to the next
client.

   NOW I left SETI because they have over 300,000 active users last time
I checked and those users are checking the WU's faster than they are able
to create new ones.  (As I understand it).  They also have no plans to add
other sources for signals as was originally stated on the web site.

   I would rather work on SETI but it seems they don't really need me.
Since they have no NEW wu's to test.  This site seems to need people more
than SETI.  Now just need to figure out a great project that will
generate enough interest to get you on the science channel and stuff
like SETI did.

   Working on something like PROTEIN problem might be the right idea.

I loaded the MOOing cow today, again how cute for a while... now its going
to have to go, but its cute.  I can just see 45 computers in a lab mooing
every 5 minutes.  That would be wild for about an hour :-)  Maybe longer with
the correct stimulant.

Basil