[RC5] Pluggable client modules...

abigail at delanet.com abigail at delanet.com
Wed Dec 8 02:22:38 EST 1999

> Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 21:05:25 +0000
> From: Duncan Aitken <aitkend at tcd.ie>
> Subject: [RC5] Pluggable client modules...
>
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering how difficult it would be to implement a client which
> automatically updated itself.

Running binaries just grabbed from the web is scary enough already.
I would certainly stop running rc5 if the programs went out on the
web, fetched another binary and exec()ed themselves.

Besides, you suddenly don't want to start with another project, do you?
Like the switch from 'rc5des' to 'dnetc' clients that ignored the existing
.ini file, and quietly started cracking for CSC instead of continueing
for RC5.

> Maybe it could determine whether or not there is a newer version available
> (from one of the key servers , or another proxy, using a similar method to
> determine when new contests start..?), and if so, switch over to that newer
> version. It would make things a lot easier if , say , you had a few hundred
> clients installed.

That's what NFS is for, isn't? Or write a simple Perl/Python/Rexx/scheme/
whatever script that does the work for you.

Abigail

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net