[RC5] Screen Saver

Zorba the Hutt zorbathut at uswest.net
Thu Dec 9 21:35:01 EST 1999

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Losing the cute little bells and
whistles may boost keyrate a little, but it lowers participation
dramatically. There might be some stat-like stuff people can do by
monitoring the buffer files, but it will be quite limited, and we won't be
able to do anything like a screensaver (at least, not an interesting
screensaver - we'd be limited to "hasn't done a block. Nope, still hasn't
done a block. Still working on the same block. Still the same block. Next
block! . . . OK, still on this block.") Now there's no reason we need to
fill the current client with prettification code, but we should at least
have some way of talking to it from other programs.

Who would I talk to in order to volunteer to help code clients? I'm not a
code god (yet), but I might be able to help some, and this is important
enough to me that I'll spend a nice chunk of (previously) free time on it :)

-Zorba