[RC5] Pluggable client modules...

David Taylor dtaylor at nildram.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 22:53:50 EST 1999

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Wilson, Bruce wrote:

> The data reported to the servers includes an IP address for most
> versions.  (I suspect the Netware version does not, for example).  This
> IP address should be a unique identifier for each machine, otherwise,
> you've got bigger problems.  I'm also of the understanding that the IP
> address of the dnetc machine is preserved even if the blocks are routed
> through a perproxy.

I thought that the IP was the (only?) bit of information contained in the
block that was actually lost by sending it through a pproxy.  Maybe I
misread it, or perhaps its changed in newer builds..

> The idea of providing an additional identifier is one we have
> discussed.  Perhaps something like a number appended to the e-mail
> address, such as "bwilson at domain.com/1".  This could allow you to
> identify a particular machine, or groups of machines (for instance, the
> number could represent a building or floor number).  At the moment,
> it's not the highest priority, but it sounds like something worth
> adding if it can be done without causing more problems than it solves.

Yeah. GIMPS supports a 'machinename' as well as 'username'.  To gain access
to the stats (for some totally unknown, and very evil reason) you need to
enter the password associated with the username, and then it displays the
various statistics on how much work of each type each machine has completed,
the total amount of each bit done, and the estimated equivilent of P90
years.

--
David Taylor
E-Mail:	davidt at xfiles.nildram.co.uk.spam   [Remove .spam]