[RC5] Core FAQ?

Philip Espi philip.espi at mfe.org
Tue Dec 14 23:22:48 EST 1999

BOVINE-RC5 wrote:

>         I do have a question however.  Has anyone noticed network connectivity
> problems with the new .448 client under Win32?  I downloaded the new .448
> client, stopped the current client, did a copy-over upgrade (as I've done with
> every previous client) and then restarted.
>
>         Everything works fine until I try to -fetch, -flush, or -update
> manually.  I get "Network services not available or not supported" as soon as
> the client starts.  It doesn't even appear to be trying to connect.  It is not
> my network connection because I can start the previous binary .447 (you do
> remember to backup your client before upgrading, don't you? heh) and it works
> fine.

I did notice this kind of problem when I first started the new client (but I
didn't copy over the previous one, I just deleted it). But it got fixed
(magically?) after quiting the client several times and forcing updates each
time before quiting. Maybe I even tried a Ctl-Alt-Del on the client (under
W95), but I'm not sure I remember correctly.

Good luck with your flushing.

Phil

--
Feeling lonely ?                        !\                /!
Don't waste a single (CPU) second ...   ! \              / !
                                        !  \            /  !
Join the Search for Extraterrestrial    ! ? ++++++++++++ ? !
Intelligence ..... at Home ! ---------> !  / ^^     ^^  \  !
                                        \ /  ++     ++   \ /
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu       /  + 0+   + 0+   \
    ! I won't let those earthlings !    !        /\        !
    ! catch me so easily.          !    !       /><\       !
mailto:philip.espi at mfe.org                 \            /
ICQ : 36475073                              \__________/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net