[RC5] Global Stats

Filipe Joel Almeida fja at mail.nbporto.novabase.pt
Wed Dec 15 08:24:51 EST 1999

> PM> Also, if teams competed against each other globally,
> PM> across projects, rather than within them, they'd be
> PM> more apt to switch clients to help out on the
> PM> short-term stuff.  The current stats show that the
> PM> majority of us aren't cracking CSC keys at the moment.
> PM>  I can't help but think that some teams don't want to
> PM> do CSC keys because they would loose ground in their
> PM> RC5 standings.
>
> Yap. This surely is true. in #distributed people are shouting that csc
> is done within next 2 weeks. At least 'new' participants wouldnt
> invest effort in that if they have an eye on rc5. Of course, i share
> the thought that many 'power-teams' rather proceed with rc5; after all
> csc could be much faster in the moment.

That is a proven fact. The 'big shark' in my team isn't making a single
block in CSC. And I miself, that am a small one, have only half of my CPU
power working on CSC, because I don't want to drop below the Top 100 Team
members. If that happens with most of our teams it means that really we have
less than 1/4 of the total CPU power working on CSC. Another reason is that
Rc5-64 will be around for a long while, but CSC will soon be over. CPU
cycles used on CSC will then be 'lost', so why no work  on RC5 and stand
your ground? Now you cross-link the stats, and the problem is gone!!

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net