[RC5] Global Stats

Basil A. Daoust basildaoust at home.com
Thu Dec 16 09:50:45 EST 1999

I'm taking a wild leap here but you meant cross project not cross platform?
With all clients being of different speeds would maybe using some kind of
median value work?

   i.e.. Run a Benchmark for all projects for all processor types and
compare the values to say rc5.  If des blocks are completed 5 times as
fast say on average... then 5 des blocks equal 1 rc5.  If later OGR
blocks take twice as long as a RC5 each would be worth say 2 rc5 blocks.

   Nothing will be perfect... and if you want people to switch maybe making
short
term projects more valuable would be a good idea.  Remember it is a fair amount
of effort for some to switch clients or upgrade.  I only have 11 machines so
its not to much effort.

   While we are at it, I think stats should be split up somehow, I don't see
why I should have to compete with a university lab on equal footing :-)

Basil