[RC5] Email warnings about old clients

James Bliese jbliese at usa.net
Thu Dec 16 09:45:45 EST 1999

This reminds me of one of my favorite IS sayings, that you will never hear in
a meeting,
"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Todd, not to be offensive, but all those clients are going to be obsolete
sooner or later,
when RC5 finishes.  At that time, they will begin wasting bandwidth requesting
RC5 blocks.
Since you took the responsibility for these clients when you installed them,
and you are getting
the credit for the blocks they complete, and you will probably take the money
if one of them
actually finds the key, exactly why shouldn't you be held somewhat responsible
(to the tune
of a few emails a month) for making sure they don't waste distributed.net
bandwidth?

>I think that any changes that make the older clients obsolete will be
>detrimental to the project. I can only speak for myself, but there are
>over 100 machines that I no longer have access to that are still crunching
>away at rc5 blocks.
>
>Many, many moons ago, I set them up with whatever client was currently in
>vogue. Now, two years into the project, I no longer directly administer
>many of those machines. I *can't* update those clients. In fact, I can't
>even STOP them if the project changes in such a way that they are no
>longer useful.
>
>If Distributed.Net starts emailing me about clients over which I no longer
>have any control, all such emails will inevitably find their way to
>/dev/null. This would be a tremendous waste of bandwidth.
>
>My recommendation is that Distributed.Net accept the fact that a lot of
>old clients are going to lie around contributing as they can to the
>project. If the project decides to obsolesce them, it's going to have to
>make the choice to send a portion of the current crunchers to the great
>bit bucket in the sky. Regardless, I do *not* want *my* email box
>cluttered with emails complaining about things over which I have no
>control.
>
>--
>Todd A. Jacobs
>Network Systems Engineer