[RC5] Pluggable client modules...

abigail at delanet.com abigail at delanet.com
Thu Dec 16 15:03:23 EST 1999

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 07:37:56PM -0500, rc5-digest wrote:

> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:24:30 -0600
> From: "Wilson, Bruce" <bwilson at fers.com>
> Subject: RE: [RC5] Pluggable client modules...
>
> The data reported to the servers includes an IP address for most
> versions.  (I suspect the Netware version does not, for example).  This
> IP address should be a unique identifier for each machine, otherwise,
> you've got bigger problems.  I'm also of the understanding that the IP
> address of the dnetc machine is preserved even if the blocks are routed
> through a perproxy.

But many organizations that have 300+ computers don't have unique
IP-addresses for all machines. DHCP, NAT, IP-masquerading, etc. If
the client is generating this IP address, the address might be in the
192.168.*.* range, or the 10.*.*.*. If the server attaches an IP-addresses
to the logs, it'll attach the IP address of the firewall for each of
the 300 clients.

It's also not true for clients running on private PCs, that use a dial-up
connection to an ISP to connect to the internet. Only a very small subset
will have the same IP address each time.

And unless the IP address is attached to each block, you would also lose
in a situation where the buffers are stored in a shared filesystem.

It hasn't been true for a long, long time that an IP address uniquely
identifies a machine. Now, once IPv6 becomes popular....

Abigail

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net