[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #321

abigail at delanet.com abigail at delanet.com
Thu Dec 16 15:37:13 EST 1999

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 02:09:46PM -0500, rc5-digest wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:36:58 -0600
> From: Ben <benb at netins.net>
> Subject: Re: [RC5] Global Stats
>
> I think it's a bit odd that the teams have dedicated themselves to RC5 and not
> CSC. They are a lot more likely to win CSC than RC5. I guess stats are more
> important than money to them :-)

Why? People aren't in for the money, the expected income is just not
enough. Besides, if they were, they would go to dcypher. Stats might
be important to some, but aren't you excluding something else? The
fact that CSC is a 56-bit encryption system, that it has already been
proven that 56-bit encryption can be broken pretty easily, and this CSC
challenge is hardly a challenged, and will not prove anything that wasn't
already known?

I don't mind wasting my spare CPU cycles to something I can see some
interest in, like RC5-64. But I'm not going to waste CPU cycles to one
something that isn't interesting at all.

Abigail

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net