[RC5] Global Stats

Tom Cramer drakino at usa.net
Sat Dec 18 01:53:44 EST 1999

Honestly I thought distributed.net was a coordinated effort to prove that
brute force decryption is possible on certain encryption
algorithms.  Friendly stats competition is always good, but when stats
become more important then the original goal of the overall system, nothing
useful will be accomplished.  I enjoy seeing stats for my small team like
many others out there, but I don't see it as a competition.  My team will
most likely never be noticed by anyone watching the top 100 teams, nor the
same for my e-mail address.  But yet I am contributing to the CSC effort to
help the overall goal of d.net.  That is what I feel is important when I
tell people about d.net, and why I continue to find systems to install and
maintain the client on.  I don't try to install d.net on systems to get my
name higher on the list.  I install d.net clients to bring d.net closer to
it's goals.

The people who insist on not running CSC for stats reasons are only hurting
the people trying to prove something.  Maybe it's time for statbox ii to
break down for a short time so people might realize what the project is
really about.

Tom

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net