[RC5] How long would it take?

Greg Andrews duck1 at ecn.ab.ca
Thu Dec 16 20:09:31 EST 1999

k, peoples, I know I'm opening a big can of worms here, but with all this
discussion of waiting for computing power to get better, the following has
crossed my mind:  How long will RC5 take anyway, assuming 50% as completion
(or should 100% be completion?)?

I've gone over this a few times, and alas, this is beyong a young math
student like myself.  To get a very accurate readout, you'd need to
calculate in:
-Current %
-Total Keyrate
-Rate of user growth
-Moore's law, knowing that regardless of our number of users, the keyrate
will always speed up because of computing power.

Anyone up to the calculations?

______________
from the overused mac of...
Greg Andrews
CEO, GregCorp, Inc.
duck1 at ecn.ab.ca | ICQ #32517996 | http://gregman.homepage.com
My Corporation, GregCorp Inc. @ http://gregcorp.homepage.com
Apple's G4s: Up to 2.94 times faster than a Pentium III...  Now who wants
their floppy back?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net