[RC5] Global Stats

Pål Sollie sollie at saint-etienne.no
Sun Dec 19 04:11:47 EST 1999

From: Tom Cramer <drakino at usa.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:53:44 -0700

>Honestly I thought distributed.net was a coordinated effort to prove that
>brute force decryption is possible on certain encryption
>algorithms.  Friendly stats competition is always good, but when stats
>become more important then the original goal of the overall system, nothing
>useful will be accomplished.  I enjoy seeing stats for my small team like
>many others out there, but I don't see it as a competition.  My team will
>most likely never be noticed by anyone watching the top 100 teams, nor the
>same for my e-mail address.  But yet I am contributing to the CSC effort to
>help the overall goal of d.net.  That is what I feel is important when I
>tell people about d.net, and why I continue to find systems to install and
>maintain the client on.  I don't try to install d.net on systems to get my
>name higher on the list.  I install d.net clients to bring d.net closer to
>it's goals.
>
>The people who insist on not running CSC for stats reasons are only hurting
>the people trying to prove something.  Maybe it's time for statbox ii to
>break down for a short time so people might realize what the project is
>really about.
>
>Tom

'Kinda have to agree with Tom here. The overall goal of d.net, proving a point *and* the powers of distributed computing in general should be the main issue here. of course, it's fun to see the stats, as a matter of fact, I read my stats single every day, without exeptions, and have been doing so for quite a while. Of course it's fun to see how high one can get on the stats, but the most interesting thing is to see how well distributed computing works.

--
Pål Sollie
sparkz at ikke.no

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net