[RC5] Benchmarks, speedups and plain weird stuff (oops)

Wilson, Bruce bwilson at fers.com
Tue Dec 21 14:35:44 EST 1999

Aha... I can answer part of your question.

The rate you're looking at is your average rate.  If your first six
blocks are completed at 2233 kk/s, and the seventh at (perhaps) 2500
kk/s, then your average rate will be ((6 * 2233) + (1 * 2500)) / 7
kk/s.  After the eighth, your rate will be ((6 * 2233) + (2 * 2500)) /
8, and so on.  The average will climb as more "high-speed" blocks are
completed.

My guess is that something (maybe a window garbage collection or
something) is still running somewhat foreground for those six blocks.
It's still up to you to figure out what that might be.  Maybe you have
a McAfee screen-scan running that finishes after 6 blocks?

Whatever it may be, your rate isn't climbing after the 7th block - it's
stable.  Only the average is climbing as it approaches your true
post-block-7 best rate.

__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com
PGP KeyID: 5430B995
http://www.geocities.com/bruce-wilson/

"Give me ambiguity or give me something else."