[RC5] stats fixation

jason carr mouse at mousetrap.net
Tue Dec 21 12:47:56 EST 1999

> Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:53:44 -0700
> From: Tom Cramer <drakino at usa.net>
> Subject: RE: [RC5] Global Stats
>
> Honestly I thought distributed.net was a coordinated effort to prove
> that brute force decryption is possible on certain encryption
> algorithms.

I think that's a fair assessment.

[Note: before I start, let me say that I agree with most of what you
say.  For the purposes of this post, however, I will adopt a
pragmatic stance that may appear to pick at these ideas.  ]

>Friendly stats competition is always good, but when stats
> become more important then the original goal of the overall system,
> nothing useful will be accomplished.

Stats (and mooing sounds, etc) are  "carrots" to attract cycle
donors.  They are a means to an end.  Sex, spice, hype.  If you
have to entertain users to get their CPU cycles, then so be it.  I do
it because I like the concept, but I don't assume that everyone else
is (or should be) a purist geek like me.

dnet, IMO, needs the unwashed masses for a project like this.
As does SETI at home.

> client on.  I don't try to install d.net on systems to get my name
> higher on the list.  I install d.net clients to bring d.net closer to
> it's goals.

Different trees that bear similar fruit, IMO.

> The people who insist on not running CSC for stats reasons are only
> hurting the people trying to prove something.

The people with something to prove may not be proving what they
think they're proving.

*surface proof: algorithms are brute-force crackable by distributed
systems

*deep structure[0]:  only the pure-in-intention are worthy to
participate in such a project

>Maybe it's time for
> statbox ii to break down for a short time so people might realize what
> the project is really about.

Feel free to alienate donors of CPU horsepower, as long as that
alienation helps the project.  I think it'd be counterproductive.

The ideal solution, of course, would be to start one's own
distributed project for the truly evolved; no stats, no recognition,
total anonymity, no reward.

And fewer users.  I'd join up, so there'd at least be the two of us.  :)

jc
Team Esoterica

[0] to mutilate Geertz

--
L.V.X., jc
Transatlantic History, University of Texas at Arlington

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net