[RC5] Global Stats

abigail at delanet.com abigail at delanet.com
Tue Dec 21 15:59:37 EST 1999

> Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:53:44 -0700
> From: Tom Cramer <drakino at usa.net>
> Subject: RE: [RC5] Global Stats
>
> The people who insist on not running CSC for stats reasons are only hurting
> the people trying to prove something.  Maybe it's time for statbox ii to
> break down for a short time so people might realize what the project is
> really about.

Actually, the RC5 stats *were* down for a long time just as the CSC
project started. That did have an effect on some people on my team - they
started dividing their CPU cycles between distributed.net and dcypher.net,
and the suggestion was raised that after RC5-64 was completed, we drop
distributed.net because they couldn't maintain their stats programs.

I don't think CSC is proving anything. What are you trying to prove? That
56 bit keys are insecure? If you are still trying to prove that, then
what was the point of the other contests that did 56 bit keys?

Furthermore, why aren't you making a case that the people who do run
CSC are hurting the people trying to prove something with RC5-64?

Abigail

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net