[RC5] Global Stats

Wilson, Bruce bwilson at fers.com
Fri Dec 24 22:25:25 EST 1999

Hi, Abigail.

I can't speak for everyone, but as I see it, distributed.net isn't
trying to prove anything about encryption.  RSA and CS Systems are -
that's why they instituted the contests.  If there is something being
proved by distributed.net, it is the viability of using distributed
computing to solve otherwise overwhelming problems.  The encryption
contests serve as a good way to work towards that end, while also
attracting lots of volunteers, getting some good press, taking home the
prize to buy better equipment and so on - all of which further advance
distributed computing in general.

In a sense, you're right that the CSC contest is "stealing" cycles from
the RC5-64 contest.  When you work it out as a percentage basis, it's
really not a significant impact.  In fact, the appeal of a short-term
contest like CSC could draw in enough new people that RC5-64 will get
an offsetting boost as soon as it's done.  (Which is better, 10000
people for 45 days, or 20000 people for another year?)

As much as we all enjoy stats, it's important to remember that stats
are secondary to the success of the contests.  I'm as much in favor of
showing stats as anyone, but as Nugget can tell you, too much stats end
up hurting the projects more than helping.  That's why d.net isn't
planning to go back to hourly or up-to-the-minute stats - it encourages
the wrong behavior and slows down the projects.

__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com
PGP KeyID: 5430B995
http://www.geocities.com/bruce-wilson/

"Give me ambiguity or give me something else."