[RC5] Global Stats

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Sat Dec 25 15:53:15 EST 1999

>>>Abagail wrote:
>Furthermore, why aren't you making a case that the people who do run
>CSC are hurting the people trying to prove something with RC5-64?

Definitely not. Because of Moore's law and continual client growth, d.net's keyrate is increasing exponentially. This means that about half th keys cracked for RC5-64 will be done in the year before the key is found. The cycles you think were "wasted" on CSC will barely be missed by RC5.

In fact, the whole CSC project only moved our estimated Rc5-64 completion date (50% keyspace) back about a week, accourding to my rough calculations. CSC barely cost d.net a thing in terms of RC5 keyrate.

However, d.net will definitely gain from the prize money and press that beating the CSC challenge will involve. In fact, the press from a succesful CSC crack might entice more users to join d.net. The CSC project could actually end up *increasing* the d.net RC5 rate.